Sunday, July 22, 2007

Cape Girardeau to Metropolis

Map of Cape Girardeau to Metropolis
Click the map for route details


Back into Illinois today. I could clearly feel the efforts of the previous two days in my legs, so I wanted to make it a shorter day today. My maps suggested I go up the Ohio River for quite a bit, then cross by ferry at Cave in Rock, then come back down the Ohio. That part is the same as for the Transamerica Trail, which I had already ridden, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity for a little shortcut. I followed the Adventure Cycling Maps out of Cape Girardeau and across southern Illinois for about 35 miles.


Cape Girardeau's waterfront: the river is just behind the wall



Highway 74 bridges the Mississippi



The edge of the alluvial plains



Almost the coolest high school baseball field in the Midwest


But after about Grand Chain, I decided to leave the presecribed trail and instead cross the Ohio by Paducah. Here is a picture of me crossing the Ohio River at Cave in Rock in 2002, just so you now I am not coming up with half-baked excuses for taking shortcuts.


Crossing the Ohio River at Cave in Rock in 2002

So I chose to follow the Ohio River Scenic Byway instead.


Heading south along the Ohio River Scenic Byway



The Ohio River



Wherever there is a river, there are power plants

The Ohio River flows 981 miles to the southwest where it meets the Mississippi at Cairo, Illinois. Ten thousand years ago, the Ohio River flowed across southernmost Illinois carving out a wide basin, through which I was riding today, but it was not exactly flat either. Rollers, rollers, rollers.

I had left late because I checked out of the motel as late as possible and was not expecting to ride far today, a semi-rest day, if you will. As it was, it still ended up being about 68 miles through southern Illinois, but I now feel fairly rested and am still on track to reach New Orleans in time for my train back.


Far southern Illinois


So tonight I am spending in Metropolis, Illinois, home of, yes, Superman. Or so they say. It does not look like the Metropolis of the comics, but what do I know? Another night in a motel, this time with an internet connection of sorts. Time to catch up with this blog. Tomorrow I will be in Kentucky and entering the Land Between the Lakes. That should be nice.

Mississippi River Crossings
Another river crossing today. This is the first time I have crossed the Lower Mississippi, as I am now well south of St. Louis and the confluence of Mississippi and Missouri.


Mississippi River Crossing 27 - Downstream


Road Kill Tally
Another quiet day, but the playing field is quietly leveling. You won't find this guy on the road, though:


How many quarter pounders in this one?

  1. Racoon: 80
  2. Opossum: 39
  3. Frog: 26
  4. Skunk: 22
  5. Deer: 18
  6. Cat: 17
  7. Snake: 16
  8. Groundhog: 13
  9. Squirrel: 13
  10. Turtle: 13
  11. Bunnywabbit: 9
  12. Mouse: 7
  13. Armadillo: 4
  14. Fox: 3
  15. Lizard: 3
  16. Mole: 2
  17. Dog: 2
  18. Porcupine: 1
  19. Chipmunk: 1
  • Bird: 104

3 comments:

Scott A Roberts said...

I'm really amazed how poorly the squirrels are doing in your road kill tally. Being from Kansas, I'm used to seeing many, many dead squirrel.

Michael Sobol said...

am i hallucinating or are you sporting a beard?

wow.

Ben said...

S2H: It might be that the squirrels just have a shorter halflife than other dead animals...

Mikey!: I did not bring any shaving implements, if that's what you mean. I don't know if I would go as far as calling the result a beard, though. We can't all be as hairy as you.