Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Rushing Creek to Centerville

Map of Rushing Creek to Centerville
Click the map for route details


To continue on the Trace Road through LBL from Rushing Creek campground, the road turns back into Kentucky for about a mile, then re-enters Tennessee and heads south towards Dover. Since I did not get a picture of my entrance into Kentucky yesterday, here is one of me leaving.


Leaving Kentucky


A glimpse into the past of the Land Between the Lakes
As I mentioned already, LBL has a rich history. One last remnant of this history is the Great Western Furnace, all that remains of the former town of Model. As a plaque will tell you, for more than a century, Stewart County, Tennessee, was an active industrial iron produced in an agricultural south. The furnace only operated for 34 weeks in 1855-56, during which time it produced 1350 tons of iron. It was sold off after its owners went bankrupt and a slave revolt drove the final nail into their operation. They put up an ad in the Clarksville Jeffersonian newspaper that read:
"...furnace, 8 wood slides, 4 yokes of oxen, 12 wagons and gear, 1 set of carpenter tools, 1 set of blacksmiths tools, 2 extra steam engines, 1 grist mill, 8 horse carts and harnesses, and 80 likely and valuable Negro men, experienced furnace hands."

Some industrialization. All that is left today is the main furnace.


The Great Western Furnace in LBL


Tennessee
Tennessee, at first blush, appears much like Kentucky, which in turn was much like Missouri.


Riding through Tennessee

But after a while, differences begin to emerge. It feels cleaner and not as poor as Kentucky. Yes, there are still plenty of trailer homes, many of which appear as though they have been abandoned years ago. Usually, they will have several cars outside, about half of which are more expensive than the house, the other half completely worthless and non-operational. But there are also many more houses that are in good shape, many built solidly of stone, which I personally like. One thing that I can say for all three states, though, is that the roads are generally in very good shape, better than in Minnesota, to be sure. (I can hear it now: "But roads are much harder to maintain in Minnesota! Hot, cold, harsh weather, blah, blah, blah..." Just fix the roads.)

The Adventure Cycling maps had advertised the Tennessee terrain as "exhausting rollers," but had never even mentioned the elevation changes in the Ozarks, so I was understandably nervous about today. Turns out that is was not so bad at all. Sure, there were rollers and they were kind of exhausting for the first sixty miles or so, but it was nothing like the Ozarks. Not even close. And as the day went by and the route departed from the Tennessee River, the rollers became more and more benign.


Tennessee opens up and flattens out

So today I am in Centerville, Tennessee. It is close to the Natchez Trace Parkway, along which I will be riding for the next four days or so; more on the Trace and why I am riding it later. Centerville also sports the only accommodations in the area, and since thunderstorms had been around me for most of the day and are expected to move through the area tonight, I thought it wise to spend the night in a motel again.


A sign of things to come

Centerville is a small town of about 4,000 residents and I have not much to report from here. The stores close at 8pm, the fast food places at 9pm, and the sidewalks are rolled up around 10pm. Then everybody goes to sleep.

America's favorite pastime
If you are still wondering what America's favorite pastime is (smashing mailboxes with baseball bats being the second-favorite), then here it is: shooting road signs, of course.


America's favorite pastime: Tennessee prefers shotguns

This is an activity popular in all states I have visited, which is most, but especially here. As you can see from the picture above, shotguns are more popular here than elsewhere I have seen. As a result, signs get beaten up so badly that some of them are almost illegible. The picture above is not of the worst sign I could find, just one that was easy to photograph, there are plenty like this, and many worse. But it is not all shotguns, rifles are also used. In fact, I have seen some signs that had holes in them, within city limits no less. What kind of a caliber rifle do you need to shoot through a road sign, which I suspect is 1/8 inch mild steel. And would it be a good idea to use such a rifle within city limits? Peter?

Road Kill Tally
I continue to be amazed by the lack of road kill on these southern roads. It should be said that I spot many smudges that might have been road kill, but could also be spilled soda. In any case, it would be impossible to identify the animal. I can also often smell the kill and am able to distinguish, say, deer from raccoon by smell alone, but if I do not see it, it does not count. Those are the rules. So I suspect that there is something funny going on here, probably much more active scavengers, but I am not sure.


Another guy you do not want to run over

  1. Raccoon: 84
  2. Opossum: 48
  3. Frog: 31
  4. Skunk: 26
  5. Snake: 20
  6. Deer: 18
  7. Cat: 17
  8. Squirrel: 16
  9. Groundhog: 13
  10. Turtle: 13
  11. Bunnywabbit: 10
  12. Mouse: 7
  13. Armadillo: 4
  14. Fox: 3
  15. Lizard: 3
  16. Dog: 3
  17. Mole: 2
  18. Porcupine: 1
  19. Chipmunk: 1
  • Bird: 113

P.S.: I just realized that I had been misspelling raccoons all this time, depriving them of their second 'c.' I've just been copying and pasting the list so that I did not notice, but my apologies to all raccoons out there. That should not have happened.

9 comments:

Bobby said...

Shotguns and rifles are not actually the preferred weapon of choice for road sign hunting. Nuts, the kind that attach themselves to bolts, give the sign a much more sporting chance. The story I got from one Quincy, IL man whose fellow Quincians (sp?) would hunt the ever elusive stop sign, was that the object of the hunt was to speed through an intersection at about 60 mph with one person hanging out of the window who would throw a nut at the sign. This is much more challenging than using a gun and provides real bragging rights to anyone who can get the nut to actually puncture the sign.

Peter said...

You're still hammering on the condition of MN roads?
With regards to sign hunting I'll have to do some research. Details to follow...

Ben said...

Nuts? That's nuts. I don't believe it. I mean, I do believe it, but only for the high-class people of Quincy, IL. Around here, I'm pretty sure it's bullets. The holes are pointed like bullets. That would be hard to do with a nut. And the splatter you see looks a lot like a shotgun. You'd have to throw a whole box of nuts at the sign to get that effect.

I will investigate further.

Your man in the field,
Ben

Ben said...

Yes, the roads in Minnesota are horrible. An nobody is doing anything about it.

Thanks for looking into the proper armaments required to pierce road signs. I don't think nuts will do it.

Anonymous said...

Mir scheint, Du bist ein bisschen zu sehr nach Osten abgedriftet: bist naeher bei Nashville als bei Memphis.

Wirst Du den Mississippi wieder finden?

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Strasbourg, July 26th, 2007

Dear Ben R.,

we are sorry to inform you, that you will not be allowed to continue this tour and you shall be excluded from any further voyaging along the Mississippi river.

Yesterday´s blood controls revealed high levels of ´beef-protein`(250mg/ml) which consequently means that you either have no immune system or too few red blood globules left. The risk of an un-contestable infection or oxygenation failure of the brain is simply too high, and your consumption of double- and triple pounder burgers has to be regarded as unethical. Since you have not signed the declaration of honor before this event, you will not be held to reimburse the U of M with one year´s worth of salary. However, we urge you to consider donations to the local anti-doping campaigns.

Have a safe trip home - and careful with ´em burgers boy, eih!?

Sincerely,
C.P.
pour la direction du ´Tour du Mississippi

Ben said...

Dear Mr. Prudhomme,

I have six points to make in my defense.

First, something clearly went wrong with the test, and I will have to ask for a B sample. I assure you there are no abnormal levels of beef-protein in my blood.

Second, the test is fundamentally flawed anyway. It simply does not work. Come on, I'm the most tested person on the planet and I've never been positive, so how do you explain that all of a sudden I turn up positive? Clearly the test method is inaccurate.

Third, even if there was beef-protein in my blood, and I am not saying there is, then it might be found in the toothpaste I've been using. Or the sunscreen lotion. I think somebody is trying to mess with me.

Fourth, have you ever heard of the "vanishing twin" syndrome? You should read up on that.

Fifth, I find it unconscionable that you would simply release your findings to the public as you did without proper evidence. Are you, Sir, on a campaign to smear my good name?

Sixth, how come I got tested anyhow? Did I not tell your inspectors I was out riding in Mexico?

Sincerely,
Ben R.

Anonymous said...

Ben Richter,

Your comments on not being tested positive on beef protein are totally flawed.

The amount that was found in your blood is more than that could diffuse through sunscreen or result from the amounts of toothpaste that human use.

Releasing the findings to public just made sense because it is so obvious and blatant.

I am just a private independent investigator.

See you soon gaandu.

Ben said...

Whatever.

You just hate me because I'm not French. Could it be that I just train harder than the French? Could it? Did you ever think of that?

So there.