Monday, July 16, 2007

Dyersville to Muscatine

Map of Dyersville to MuscatineClick the map for route details


I woke early today, to the sounds of a water-aerobics class in the pool adjacent to my camp site. I'm telling you, some people just can't get enough exercise. Take it easy, ladies. So I broke camp and went on the next 100 miles towards Muscatine and back towards the Great River.

As I left, the sky was looking somewhat threatening, but the clouds were in the distance, and I did not think I was going to get into too much trouble.


Catch me if you can


Well, the story of the rest of the ride is quickly told. My early-morning optimism was not exactly justified. Things became more threatening as I rode on.


Weather, Iowa-style



Spraying the fields before the storm


And finally it caught up with me, the way it only does in the Midwest. You're fine, you're fine, you're fine, and suddenly it is all around you.


Oops


I had thought I could make it to the next town, which was only about five miles away, but I didn't. A few drops at first, and boom, the skies opened up. I did not even have time to put on my rain gear, so I got thoroughly soaked. Then I thought I could still make it to that next town before the thunderstorm was really above me and I kept counting the distance of the lighting (about five seconds between lightning and thunder per mile), but soon it was too close for comfort. It is not a good idea to be riding through corn fields in a thunderstorm with lightning left and right and you the tallest point around. So I sought some shelter at a house by the road and let it pass. Luckily, it did not take long to pass, and soon I was on my way again.

With the storms, as is frequently the case, came a change in wind direction, which was now steadily and strongly blowing into my face as I was heading straight south all day. It became a game of timing the ride to slip through between bands of heavy rain, such as this one.


Think it's raining up ahead? Think it's windy?


It is not too easy to get the timing right, but I managed it pretty well and only got soaked a few more times. Luckily, it was plenty warm and I did not mind too much. Having fenders really helps, too, because it keeps the dirt on the raod. Good, clean fun.

It was one of those days. The scenery did not change at all. That's central Iowa for you. Very interesting. The wind was blowing in my face. The kind of wind where you bury yourself, you go into your drops, you keep churning the pedals with all you have, and you look at your computer: 14 miles per hour. All those panniers can really act liks sails, and act like sails they did today. So even though it was flatter than yesterday, I was actually slower. Just one of those days. How do those guys who keep jumping off their bikes call it? Epic?

Well, I turned into a motel in Muscatine, the thought of which really gave me a lot of energy during the last couple of hours of the day. The motel itself was a bit of a disappointment, as I have already mentioned, but what can you do.

Mississippi River Crossings
No crossing yesterday, and none today. But I did cross a tributary, which I herewith declare as notable, just so I can post a picture of a river.


Notable tributary: Wapsipinicon River, Upstream


Road Kill Tally
The racoons one-upped themselves today. An amazing feat I would not have thought possible, but their strategy is brilliant: they sacrifice entire families at a time. One dead racoon means that usually a few others are up the road. With this, they have even passed the birds.
  1. Racoon: 55
  2. Skunk: 13
  3. Groundhog: 12
  4. Deer: 12
  5. Cat: 11
  6. Squirrel: 9
  7. Mouse: 7
  8. Opossum: 8
  9. Frog: 4
  10. Snake: 4
  11. Bunnywabbit: 4
  12. Turtle: 2
  13. Fox: 2
  14. Mole: 2
  15. Porcupine: 1
  16. Chipmunk: 1
  17. Dog: 1
  • Bird: 54

0 comments: